Thursday, March 27, 2008

Safe and Sound!

Dallin's school was evacuated yesterday. The school district received a bomb threat - a phone call saying that a bomb would go off at a certain time. The caller didn't say which school was the target, so as a precaution, all the schools in the district were evacuated. Bomb-sniffing dogs swept the schools, but didn't find anything. It turns out it was all a prank.

Now I'm not one to dwell on the what-might-have-beens. Nobody was hurt. There was no bomb. Nothing happened yesterday that is going to scar any of those kids for life. But today I've still been thinking...

I've been thinking about Dallin's first day of Kindergarten and that that sick feeling I had in my stomach as he walked through the doors of the school building. Somehow over time that feeling went away and I don't even think twice when he rushes through those same doors. I've always trusted the school, the teachers, and the administration to watch out for him. And so far they've done that. I have no complaints.

But after the events that took place yesterday, I've been thinking that something like this could happen here. Bad things could happen in this small town that are out of my hands. I guess it shouldn't take a bomb threat for me to come to this realization, but I've always felt so safe here. Apparently I've been too naive.

It was so nice to give Dallin a hug and bring him back home again. I guess the bottom line is that it really does feel good when we're all home at the end of the day - safe and sound! Now will someone please remind me that I said that the next time the kids are fighting or running around acting like maniacs? Please? Because I guarantee I'll forget all about it the next time they're acting like this:

4 comments:

Suzann said...

I feel the same way, Heather. I am so glad that everything turned out ok, and that Dallin is safe. That would have scared me so bad!

Anonymous said...

Look at you go girl!! Blogging like crazy! So good to hear from you! I will send you an email later tonight :) LOVE your photos and LOs as ALWAYS!!! :)

The Wilsons said...

What a crazy day that was! It was so good for me to read your blog - it was good to stop and think for a minute that even though the few hours after school seem crazy and hectic, it is so nice to know we are all together and safe! Loved chatting at ladie's night! Much needed!! :)

Christi said...

Hey Heather! Glad you found my blog- that's right- I had already "blog stalked" you! hee hee.. So good to see pics of your family. You're blog is great! That bomb threat sounds like it was really scary. Julie Titcomb was down here last weekend and we talked about how scary it was to send Anna to school the next day. Glad everything was OK, probably some silly teenage kid playing a (NOT FUNNY) joke. Take Care!