Friday, May 02, 2008

And the Winner Is....


Picture #1!

Thanks everyone for e-mailing and posting feedback here on the pictures! I tallied up all the votes and #1 was the hands-down favorite. #4 and #5 tied for 2nd.

I guess I misunderstood the rules though. I thought the employee told me you could either submit photos electronically OR with an 8x10 print. I assumed that I could just send a pic in via e-mail. As I was filling out the entry form this morning, I noticed it said an 8x10 print AND an electronic copy. Yes, it was an AND, not an OR. I was also surprised to find out that submitting "electronically" didn't include e-mail. No, they wanted the photo burned to a CD. Nothing's ever as quick and simple as I think it's going to be.

I didn't have time to go to Costco today, which is where I usually print my pics, so I thought I would try out the one hour photo at the new Walgreens in town. Let's just say that wasn't the best move I've ever made! Either the colors and lighting on my laptop are WAAAAAAY off, or the photo processing was. The whole photo was really dark and Gracie's skin was bright orange. Dallin looked at the print after school and said with a bit of disgust, "Well, it looks like we're not winning this contest, are we mom?" I pretended to be hurt by that comment, but I was secretly laughing on the inside. I'm sure he's right!

Dark, orangey print or not, I still submitted the picture. I decided it would be good for Dallin to see me lose. LOL! He had a hard time when he wasn't a top winner in the Reflections Contest at school. He got an Honorable Mention, but he was still devastated that he didn't "win." I tried telling him that it didn't matter to me whether he won or not, I thought he was a winner just for trying. So this this photo contest seemed like the perfect opportunity to put my money where my mouth is and show him that I'm OK with not winning too.

The pictures are supposed to be judged by the visitors at the Thanksgiving Point Gardens for the next month or so. The winners will be notified by mail on July 1st. I'm not holding my breath. LOL!


But still...


Ticket to tulip festival - $10.00

CD - $1.00

8x10 photo - $2.50

Priority Mail Delivery - $4.60

Teaching your kid that winning isn't everything - "PRICELESS!"

4 comments:

Suzann said...

Heather, that is too funny! Kids can be so honest sometimes. I'm sorry that the print didn't work out how you wanted it to. I'm sure that is was Walgreens fault and not yours. But you never know what might happen with the contest. I was printing something important today as well, and I thought to myself that I should just go to Walgreens. After all, it is a 5 minute drive vs 40 minutes. Well, eventually I decided against Walgreens, and I wanted to run some other errands as well. So I ended up going to Costco. I haven't printed too many things at Walgreens, and not recently, but I remember thinking something similar about the coloring of my photos as well. Who knew?

Christi said...

Beautiful photo! I'm sorry I never got around to emailing you back my vote, I'm VERY behind in emails. I hope you win (even if its not in Dallin's best interest.. hee hee..)

Catherine Schulthies said...

Love your tulip photos! That whole event is just begging for a scrapbook layout to be completed about it. You should use the whole "priceless" theme. It would be fabulous!

Mama H. said...

I'm glad it wasn't just grandma & grandpa that like the Gracie photo best. I think it could be a winner, even with bad color. Love you lots!