Friday, May 23, 2008

Last Day

Life has been crazy around here the past few weeks. We've had all the typical end-of-the-year programs, graduations, recitals, field trips, etc. And on top of all that Relief Society has been completely insane the last couple of weeks. We've had one BIG funeral, 3 babies born, 2 other deaths, and a bunch of other stuff I won't bore you with. I don't have a compassionate service leader right now, so I've been running around like a crazy woman. In all the chaos, blogging and e-mails have kinda been put on the back burner. I guess I'll just jump in where we are now and maybe do a catch up post or two later next week.


Today was the last day of school. Yes, "summer" vacation is officially upon us. Somehow it doesn't feel like summer though. It was a chilly 41 degrees when I dropped Dallin off at school for his last day. Yesterday was his field day. I sent him to school in his winter coat...not exactly my idea of summer.


Yesterday was Gracie's last day of preschool. We've been sending our kids there for 3 years now. I was pretty excited when I wrote out the last big check earlier this month. It had me dreaming of all the ways I could spend that extra money every month. But then I started feeling a little sentimental when I picked her up for the last time yesterday. It's hard to believe that we are "done" with this stage of life. Next year both kids will be in elementary school. When they were babies, it seemed like this day would never come. It felt like I would spend eternity feeding, wiping, bouncing, rocking, and changing diapers of fussy (but adorable) babies - and all of this on little to no sleep.

OK, I think that's enough sentimental talk for one day.

So anyway, I wanted to have a fun afternoon with the kids today to celebrate the last day of school. We planned to go swimming and out for pizza with some friends. The kids started fighting, whining, and complaining the moment I picked Dallin up for school. We had total and complete meltdown when both pairs of swimming goggles turned up missing. One kid was in time out for the better part of the afternoon, and the other one was hysterical because they were missing out on the swimming.

When emotions had calmed and tempers were finally under control we set out to get some new goggles. Two stores later we bought 2 pairs and raced back to the car thinking that we could still make it to the pool. One pair of goggles didn't fit which led to more tears and tantrums. We traded the goggles for a new pair, but I was DONE! Instead of going to the pool, I drove straight home. (Call me crazy, but I really didn't think I should reward this kind of behavior.)

I have a feeling I'm in big trouble if the first couple of hours of summer vacation are any indication of what's in store the next couple of months.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTE as heck blog makeover!!!! I am sooooo sorry about your week!! I am just about to run to Costco to get my stuff for my RS lesson tomorrow! :) I do have the best calling, don't I? Soooo sorry (again) about the craziness of yours!

My summer started out last year the SAME as yours....it did get better! I would have done just what you did! Hang in there :)

Suzann said...

Sorry you've been so busy!
My kids were acting the same way, and after getting out of school, our afternoon was just like that! I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Hopefully it can be a nice, calm, fun, summer, with NO fighting. Ok, maybe that's a little too high of an expectation. Maybe, very little fighting:)

Hendricksonblog said...

I think I might just skip getting goggles now!!

Chad said...

I didn't know they had summer in Heber, that's what you get for living with the rich folk!

Jessica Harrrison said...

We missed you at the pool....congratulations on being such a great mom! Hopefully they've learned their lesson so we can get together at the pool again soon.

Hollie and Colby said...

I am so proud of you... you are posting way more than 1x a month and I LOVE IT!

I hope your summer is going better than that first day...

Oh, and I found out I can just buy a birth announcement template on-line.... So, given your super busy schedule (I think you do WAY too much!) I am leaning towards that unless you have already put in some work on a plan.

Let me know!

Love,
Hollie